Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Where’s my TOTO???

Dec 08 2010         Where’s my TOTO???

We designed and built this house 10 years ago. We had to give up our McMansion in Baja Oklahoma because I could no longer navigate three flights of stairs to get to my toy room. I really loved that house; however it wasn’t hard to give up the commute in to work. In designing a new house I needed two things: to be close to work and on one floor with no steps. And after 20+ moves it was time to build a house we could live in as we got old. Well, who knew we would need all these “old age” features SO SOON!!!! THE HORRORS!!!

I did get so much of the design just right. I didn’t think I would be testing the design so soon; however I’m pleased to say that it is working. The divided bedrooms allow me to go to the guest room if I’m tossing and can’t sleep. All the showers have seats and bathrooms are easy access. The family room is central and has two dog exit doors so it is easy to service Domino’s needs. The open floor plan is great. Today I was able to so some cooking in the kitchen. Having the island counter lowered to my standing working height and my seated height worked very well. And the lower prep sink in the island was perfect (except for the faucet, that needs re-working). I was able to get a pot roast in the slow cooker and having the aroma in the house all day reminded me to eat.

There is one home design feature that I didn’t realize could be so important for old people and the chemo challenged. The bathroom floor plan designs are good now that both showers are accessible. I made sure we had the latest in water saving commodes. This is not enough. A generic commode is insufficient to meet the needs of the chemo challenged old person. I know this because I’ve spent more time in my bathrooms in this past six weeks than I had in the previous 10 years. What I need is a TOTO toilet with all the bells and whistles: heated seat, bidet feature with heated water, automatic closure, music component (with head phones), and padded seat.  And then I would add a few more upgrades that will be needed for the PERFECT commode room. Padded arm rests and foot rests would be nice. And just below the arm rests would be an in-the-wall magazine rack and just above the arm rests would be adjustable “mood” lighting. And there would be a “spittoon” which could be within easy reach. Within reach would be an automated TP dispenser which would hold a COSTCO bale of paper just ready to drop onto the spindle. That's a nice commode room!!!

That’s about it for now. If you want more information about toto toilets, here’s the website   http://www.totousa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment