Friday, December 10, 2010

Almost normal!!!!

Dec 10, 2010       
This was post chemo 2 day 11 and hopefully the beginning of a good week. I slept comfortably all night and Domino let us sleep in an extra hour this morning. Evan made our coffee which we drink while reading the paper. I don’t know if the paper is our excuse for setting around drinking coffee or if the coffee is our excuse for setting around reading the paper. Which ever it is, we have to have both things to get our day started. I felt good enough to actually cook breakfast with a little help. We made a version of the Local Diner’s “Pot ‘n’ Pan” breakfast with bacon, potatoes, and eggs. I did need to rest afterward but didn’t have to go to back to bed. We talked to Katherine via Skype for an hour. It takes a while to keep up with her busy life.

This afternoon I helped Evan up together a slow cooker casserole for dinner. That’s two cooking events in one day!!!!!!!! It felt so good!! And then I had a package to put together to send Dianna but first needed to do a little bit of sewing on one item. Then I packed a box for the UPS store drop off. It seemed like such a normal day!! I hadn’t realized how long it has been since I had a normal day!!

Carolyn has had a terrible cold for the past week and still isn’t well enough to come over. We talk regularly but just can’t risk sharing the germs. When Barbara was here yesterday we talked about this being the stage of chemo where infections become more likely and can strike so quickly there is barely time to get to the hospital. Chemo kills all resistance. On my long list of questions for the Dr on Monday is a section of questions about how to navigate THROUGH the ER waiting room and directly to the oncology unit in Baylor in the middle of the night or weekends. Surely there are key words and protocols that open doors and I want to know those words. The holidays are always busy times in ERs and I can’t be stuck in there sucking up somebody’s flu germs on top of whatever infection I might already have going. Chemo 3 on Dec 20 will be the worst so far as the drugs continue to accumulate in my system. We don’t know if the side effects will hit sooner or hit harder or both. With chemo 2 the nausea was more intense, the diarrhea lasted longer, and the fatigue was almost painful it was so deep. I definitely want to enjoy this coming week of respite to the maximum. It could be a while before I get another stretch of good days.

Tomorrow I want to play in the sewing room. I might even accomplish something substantial. Today I ate most of my accomplishments. That’s not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment