Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A day from HELL

Dec 07 2010      
Thank you one and all for the birthday wishes, cards and messages yesterday. It was great to hear from so many friends and family!!

I had a good birthday day and decided to get to bed at . I generally listen to NPR and the BBC until I go to sleep. I was still tossing and turning at and the sickest I’ve ever been by and continued SICK until . I don’t know if it was the BBQ or just chemo drug induced. That liter of fluid I got in the afternoon was long gone by morning so it was back to downing a liter of electrolyte water in short order. It took several doses of the $80 copay Zofram for nausea plus Lomotil to get back on to normal. I finally went back to bed and slept most of the morning. Evan brought me 8 ounces for protein drink every 4 hours and that was as much as I could tolerate until late in the afternoon. And that was that...over. 

I missed the cleaning crew working their magic. Maybe they made the bed right around me…..I don’t know. I really appreciate having them come and literally “straighten us out” and cleaning up our environment.

The big event in our day was the visit by the appliance repair man. I scheduled 3 repairs, the microwave that won’t heat, the oven lights that won’t come on, and the refrigerator that won’t share ice and water. What great luck we had in getting a wonderful technician who didn’t charge for fixing the lights and told me how to negotiate for a new door for the refrigerator. A new refrigerator door would cost $1000 plus installation. Apparently the defect is in the design that has wires that are too short and made of the wrong materials so the ice maker and water dispenser don’t get the message to open up and dispense. OK. I’ll work on that consumer project some day when I’m feeling better. Now for the microwave: it needed two parts and is now good as new. And best of all….it fits in its spot and matches the rest of the kitchen!!! The new models would require a new $150 trim package and don’t match the other appliances as well as this one does. OK, we won’t starve now.

I’m exhausted tonight just from not having a good night’s sleep and a bummer day. Let’s hope that I will get to sleep right away. I know entirely too much about the British financial crisis and the political problems in Africa. But I like listening to the BBC because of the different perspective in looking back across the Atlantic to the US. They make me think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment