Sunday, December 19, 2010

Last Supper

Dec 19 2010    Last Supper

This is the day/night before chemo 3. I have enjoyed these last few days so much!!! It’s the little things…like sewing a little, not falling into the bed with fatigue, reading a book and remembering where I left off last time. It is so great to NOT FEEL BAD.

This morning a fellow volunteer from our days at the Community Ministries food bank came by the house. What fun to see Jan again! She brought me a really neat tea cup with infuser and Teavana tea. This will be great treat for after my afternoon nap. Jan has a new grand daughter she is privileged to baby sit so she is on leave from the food bank. Doesn’t that sound like fun?

Remember our friend Julie O who sent me such great cookies? Well, not only is she a great cook, she is a genius. Julie had asked what I wanted for this chemo round and I told her homemade puddings. When I’m really sick after chemo infusion I need old fashioned comfort foods, something that goes down easily and stays down. Believe me, pudding works. Now how do you think Julie got the puddings to me? Remember Julie spends the winters in Tucson and I live in North Dallas. Hint: the puddings arrived the same day they were made. Not just one pudding….no, no. There are three puddings, chocolate, vanilla, and butterscotch. Put your best guess in the comment section and I’ll announce the winner next week. [Nick, you can not win!! You have “insider information” and that’s not fair.]

Infusion is scheduled for tomorrow. Tonight I start anti nausea drugs to get ready for the big drugs. Then tomorrow morning there is another batch of pre-chemo anti nausea drugs. When I get to the infusion suite there will be a baggie of an anti nausea drug and an anti anxiety drug pumped in before the hard drugs. During the last chemo Mary Ann kept me chocked full of ice chips before infusion and all through the “push” infusion of the red drug plus about an hour after the red drug went in the power port. Then I kept ice in my mouth but not so much of it at a time. The ice constricts the blood vessels in the mouth and prevented those horrible mouth sores I got after the 1st chemo infusion. Ice is certainly no fun on all my expensive dental work but it is far better than 2 weeks of mouth sores. When I get home tomorrow night there will be several different anti nausea drugs, every 4 hours per a pre set protocol for 24 hours. It would seem like I would get the required 80 ounces of water per day just swallowing all these pills!!!

I don’t expect to post on the blog tomorrow night, but I probably can let you know how I’m doing on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, I'll wager a guess on how Julie got you the puddings. My guess is that she has a friend who lives in your area whom she baited into making them and delivering them for you.

    I am really enjoying your blog, by the way. You have a real gift of witty writing. Even when you think you're writing mundane stuff, we all enjoy reading it! Keep on keeping on. ♥

    ReplyDelete