Wednesday, December 22, 2010

low RBC is the pits

December 22, 2010     low RBC is the pits

The good news is that the current protocols are managing the nausea much better this round. YEAH. I slept most of the night without much disturbance. My blood work looks good except for low red blood count which is anemia. The chemo causes generic fatigue and the low RBC only makes it worse. The good news is that my count isn’t so low that a transfusion is warranted. That means I just need to work through this time and survive. I don’t like feeling too tired to breathe or walk across the house.

Today I managed to put a white bean and pork casserole in the slow cooker in the morning and that was IT for the day. Domino [my executive Sleeper Helper] and I slept for 3 hours this afternoon. The casserole was quite good so I guess it was worth the effort.

We have been watching the snow storms in Europe with great interest since Katherine has been making her way from FRA to SFO today. She was in lines for 2.5 hrs trying to get through the business class line on UA. Hopefully they took good care of her on the flight. She sent a note on Facebook that she was at SFO so she will be at Elin and Mike’s for the next week then here on the 29th. I know she wants to check on me again. Hopefully I’ll be in good form by the time she gets here.

Evan ran errands this am. He dropped off a box for Mother. I don’t dare go to the nursing home where germs abound and I don’t have much immunity. Then he mailed the last minute packages and stopped by the church to catch up on things. Then it was off to the grocery to pick up Christmas dinner steaks. Carolyn and Dylan will be here for dinner and will have to assist again as they have done since I’ve been in chemo. I’ll just observe and tell them where to find things.

Evan has the house decorated nicely with all his favorite things. We haven’t wrapped the UPS boxes. I guess a bow here and there would be nice, but we aren’t sure what is in the boxes or who the box should go to. Adding wrapping paper just wouldn’t make any more sense. Our extended family uses Amazon.com wishlists to let each other know what we really want. So when an Amazon box comes it usually contains items for all who live in this house or who will get presents at this house. However the label doesn’t always say which person gets which box. We will share the opening and pass the contents to the rightful party. It adds to the drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment