Monday, December 20, 2010

Chemo 3 today; now I wait for aftermath

Chemo 3 today; now I wait for aftermath

So far so good. The Chemo infusion when in the power port fairly well. The red drug hurt at the infusion site a little more than the last 2 times. The RN said that I didn’t taste it this time because I had my mouth frozen with ice chips so I was experiencing it more in my nose and ears. Purely weird. I could smell a metallic and drug combination; and the hairs in my middle ear tingled. The rest of the drugs went in nicely. Then came the drug study shot which may or may not be the real thing. That sucker hurt as she put it my upper arm. Next time I will get it in the belly like the Neulasta shot.

Hopefully most of you readers have never been to an oncology infusion suite so let me tell you about the Baylor Plano set up. I’m told by 2 of the RNs who work there that it has the best working environment for the nurses. They came to work at this facility because of the design of the suite and the positive TEAM environment. There are 4 RNs in the suite at all times. The dedicated Pharmacy is a few steps from the Nurses station. Medical records are online real time so there is little wasted time. My first stop is the hematology lab. Then it’s on to the dreaded weight and temperature check. It’s onward to the Infusion Suite, and sign in, and wait for lab results before my drugs can be pulled from the Pharmacy. Now it is time to select a recliner. The Suite is situated on the front corner of the facility, lovely views in two directions. I can watch the construction crew work on the upper floor additions to the Heart Hospital, or face the entrance to the General Hospital with all the Christmas decorations and people coming and going. There are 8 recliners in the front section, 4 backing to the front windows [view of hospital] and 4 facing the front window. The half wall separating the front unit from the center unit mitigates the “ward” feeling and houses many, many electrical outlets. The center section has 4 recliners facing the wall and 4 facing the front windows with a partial view of the Hospital. Each recliner has an infusion pump and enough room for a visitor to set nearby. I prefer to face the front windows and to be on the East end of the row. Either section will do.

There are 4 big TVs that one can request to use with head phones. The wi-fi capability is popular, especially with the young women and their guests. The small table and chairs over by the “kitchen” is popular with the older crowd of men waiting for partner’s chemo to finish. The refrigerator has juices and soda as well as storage for snacks a patient brings for those long sessions. And the ice machine has cubes and crushed ice which I need for the red drug. The coffee/tea bar is behind the recliners, over by the hospital rooms. Generally there are candy/cookies/snacks on the Nurses Station counter, compliments of the vendors or the staff or patients. Today there were 3 new patients, older men. The one young man in the Monday group has finished his 2nd round of chemo and we hope is home playing with his little kids. I’m in the infusion suite every Monday, 1st for chemo and for fluids on the 2nd and 3rd Monday. So I see both the every Monday chemo patients and the every 3 week chemo patients. Some have become regular visiting friends, sharing family stories and helping each other with minor assistance issues as well as coping ideas. One very shy young Black woman has begun to talk to me a little. She is having a very rough time.

In the back section of the suite there are 2 rooms with hospital beds. Once in a while some one just can’t cope with either the drugs or the situation and needs to be rolled into the quieter room to determine how to continue. The few cases I have seen have been older women and they did fine the next time they came for infusion. Of course when I say “older women” I mean 10 yrs older than me. That’s because I’m not “older” yet. I may be “older” by the time I get through Chemo 6.

So if one has to go to an infusion suite in North Texas, I can recommend TX Oncology at Baylor Plano. My experience so far has been VERY POSITIVE with all the staff and the claims are processing quickly and accurately on the first filing. I really appreciate that aspect.

Good night, friends. I’m headed off to add more drugs to my system and hopefully get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment