Thursday, December 2, 2010

CHEMO2 Day 4 BONE PAIN DAY

                        Dec 2 2010                  Bone Pain Day

This is day 4 of post chemo 2 and it is going much better than the last round. The nausea is still under control, thank goodness. Fatigue is definitely NOT under control. So I’m back to barely navigating from chair A to bed B today. I did manage to get through the shower all by myself, but that was my only accomplishment. I needed pain pills today and that only makes things worse. Neulasta causes pain in the long bones so my thigh and shin bones ache like heck. Last time this bone pain only lasted a few days so let’s hope for a short duration this time.

Two really nice things happened today. Early this morning I got a package from my sister-in-law which had several nice fleece hats and a nice scarf. She had made some of the turban type hats and found the others at a cancer support shop. I will have fun decorating the hats with some of the old jewelry pins from my late mother-in-law’s collection. And this afternoon I got another package. This package was another gourmet treat from Julie O in Tucson. O, my, the best brownies in the world!!!! And the perfect finish to a drug day!!! Everything goes better with a brownie chaser!!! Julie O, you rock!!

MaryAnn made the best casserole for breakfast today. Wow, what a way to start the day!! Let me share the recipe with you as it is an easy “make ahead” brunch dish to have during the holidays.

 Pecan Sausage Casserole

1 8 oz package sausage (we used 16 oz.)
1 16 oz. loaf of raisin bread, cubed (we used cinnamon swirl)
6 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

 Topping:

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup soft butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Prepare 13 by 9 glass baking pan with Pam.  Cube raisin bread and put in baking dish.  Brown sausage, drain, mix with bread.  In large bowl beat eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon until blended.  Pour over bread and sausage.  Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.  Topping: Combine sugar, butter, syrup, and pecans and spoon over casserole.  Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes clean.       8-10 servings

MaryAnn got the rest of the day off today. No kitchen duty and a day out with a friend from her home town; I hope they are having a great time. MaryAnn deserves some play time after taking care of me for so many days. She is going home on Saturday and we will certainly miss having her brighten our days with her great personality and treating us to great meals. There is no way I can re-pay her for her kindness and it is so wonderful to know she is okay with that. This friendship has lasted 48 years so far there will be opportunity to share more good times in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment