Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wig Day

Nov 27 2010

Where have all the hairs gone; long time passing.  Where have the hairs gone; long time ago…..When will they ever learn!!!!!” This is crudely paraphrased from an old Peter, Paul and Mary song.to make the point that more hairs have gone far, far away. Yesterday I had no bald patches; today is a different story. Today there is much scalp showing and the hair isn’t evenly thin. When I brushed my teeth with the electric toothbrush this morning I shook loose a bunch of hairs. You would have thought I had used a power drill to run the toothbrush!!

After lunch MaryAnn and I went to the wig boutique. I liked their hats and scarves better than the wigs; but I went to check out the wigs so stayed focused on wigs. I can’t sew or make a wig or even decorate a wig. I needed help. I went in with the idea of getting two wigs, one close to my usual color and style and one more daring.

So the first wig I tried was pretty close to my hair style before chemo started and before Barbara gave me a buzz cut. Maybe the wig is just a little greyer, or maybe I’m in denial as to how grey I’ve gotten lately. Wig One was quite nice. Then we tried one shade lighter and one shade darker but settled on the first one as “close enough” for a short term wig.  

Then we tried for a longer, more red and blonde style wig. That was definitely NOT IT. And I realized that I was just not into getting in touch with my inner punk or inner Dolly. Maybe I’m just not ready to have any kind of fun with this chemo/cancer drill. So I bought Wig One.

I’m not sure whether my issue with wigs is the stitching or the stiffness of the wigs or the idea that there is “something” on my head. I wore the wig out of the boutique and over to Marshall’s to shop. I was never able to “forget” that there was something on my head. I did get past the feeling of the wig enough to buy some nice pajamas and a velvet leisure jacket and pants to wear to the oncology clinic. It could be that my wardrobe for the next 2 weeks will be pajamas and leisure suits paired with house shoes for an even more casual touch. What does one wear with leisure pants and house shoes….the wig or the cap? And who will care???

All in all, this was a good day. MaryAnn drove us to the Bernina store so I could pick up some thread I had ordered during the last sale. Then we went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch before going to the wig boutique and Marshall’s. That was enough to wear me out. I have one more good day opportunity before Chemo2 begins on Monday. Wonder what we will think up to do to entertain ourselves tomorrow?????

Tonight we feasted on leftovers from Thanksgiving…turkey, dressing, potatoes, and GRAVY. O, I love gravy. And I make the world’s worst gravy. This is a true story that my girls love to tell: I have made gravy so bad that the dog would not eat it!!!! Ask me for a soufflé, 10 course Chinese dinner, anything but gravy!! We didn’t have any pie tonight. Both pies are long gone. I love having a guest chef in my kitchen!!! Thank you, MaryAnn.

No comments:

Post a Comment