Monday, November 8, 2010

Chemo TX #1........I survived!!!!

Nov 8, 2010

Chemo treatment 1 was today and I was more nervous that having babies or general surgery. The reality was much less than the anticipation. So I’m declaring it a success.

My pre-treatment echo was great “you have the heart of a teenager”; the CT scan was good; the labs were excellent. And my port was in and ready to be accessed. I did ask why the port can’t be inserted in a fluffy place rather than on a bone. The answer is pure doctor logic “the port is on your right side because they took out the lymph nodes on your left side.” So I pointed to several fluffy places on side right side that could handle a power port nicely. Not good enough. He says, “Actually placing it on the collar bone makes it easily accessible to the large vein we need to use. Do you want to move the port at this point?” I said, “Hell no, don’t move it now! But next time you go to a Power Port conference please tell them to find a fluffy spot for these ports!!!”

So the treatment began with some Atavan and Benadryl which was nice. Then real chemo started with Taxotere/Docetaxel that went nicely. No reaction or problems. Then the Adriamycin/Doxorubicin bag when up. This they infused at half speed to begin with and I had no reaction. So the RN opened it up to regular speed and that was fine.

Cycloposphamide is the more risky drug at first infusion. The RN started the bag with a very slow drip and stayed with me because some people react to those first drips. I didn’t have a problem so she opened it up to ¼ speed for 25% of the bag. No problems showed up so we went up to ½ speed for half a bag and still no reaction. So the last 25% of the bag went in a full speed and no problems. This is good. So next treatment it will start a full speed.

I got more anti nausea drugs for the next three days. This might be a good thing as I’m burping tonight already. Could be anxiety related. Tomorrow I go in for a Neulasta shot to build white blood cell in the bone marrow. This could cause pain in the bones not joints. And there is a pain pill for that!!!

Well, it’s over. I survived. And now I have only 5 more to go. Now we find out how I will feel AFTER a treatment. I would love to just keep on with my regular life; however I know there will be some SERIOUS adjustments.

1 comment:

  1. Jack and I send prayers and love to you, Ann! We're encouraged by your upbeat attitude. Also, please let Katy know that our thoughts are with her, as well. We are heading in a Texas direction, but will likely be passing south of Dallas.

    ReplyDelete