Wednesday, November 17, 2010

chemo 1 day 9

Nov 17, 2010

Today was a good day in so many ways and on so many levels. Our friend Katy is back in TN at the best local rehab facility and Ken will be sleeping in his own bed in his own house tonight. How great is that!!

My Mother managed to topple over again last weekend Nov 6, got an ambulance ride to a trauma center [“those are rock hard beds in ambulances and they drive too fast so I get bumped around”] for a full workup, stitches on her lip from a few chipped teeth. She was taken back to the facility to continue in the rehab unit, recovering from her previous UTI etc. Barbara wanted to stay with her a few nights and we had a care giver come in the rest of the time since Mother was disoriented in a strange room. So the “parental responsibility” stress factors have been working overtime for both Barbara and I this past week. Mother is going back to her Alzheimer’s unit and her same room on Saturday. Barbara had wanted to be more directly involved in my 1st chemo week and now she can catch up. This is a good thing.

Katherine is here for the rest of this week. She took Evan to the grocery store and spent 4 times his usual dollar limit on antioxidant teas, whey protein powder, antioxidant juices from the organic produce cooler, special yogurts and salads and so many things he had never bought before. So far it has all been good. And Katheine makes me suck up that last ounce so she can bring me yet another bottle of something. Plus they have cooked the past two nights and I have eaten enough to have some energy. Today I even went with Katherine down to the NorthPark Macy’s sale for an hour. I took my tripod cane/seat so I never had to stand around. I found 2 nice hats, one wool and one rabbit fur. It will be hat time soon. My hair isn’t falling off yet but sure looks awful. No life or body and almost all dirty grey. Hats may be a good thing.

My friend Julie O sent me a bunch of the BEST chocolate chip cookies!! Fantastic!! We made rice pudding in the crockpot to balance off dessert…one dark + one light = balance. Now just try to top homemade cookies and pudding for comfort food!!!!

I’m tired tonight. This is probably a good kind of tired. Dr said I need to exercise so I went to the Mall. Dr said I need to drink more and I am. Of course that leads to more exercise, hiking to the bathroom. Being tired is okay as long as I did something to deserve to be tired. And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment