Wednesday, November 3, 2010

blog 2: powerport news

Remember that $8k shot that I will get after each chemo? Well, it is known in the US as Amgen. The company Katherine works for [Roche which owns Genentech] makes this stuff.  Now I understand how Katherine is able to live in Switzerland and take me along for great trips in Europe and beyond! You go, woman, keep making these expensive drugs!!

Today’s new adventure was getting a power port inserted in my neck and chest. Here’s where you can see the devise and specifics: http://www.portadvantage.com/ Well, it is a cute little ditty, but will never become a fashion accessory until it can be left on the outside. The purpose of the port is to allow the various medical people to pour drugs into me and take blood out of me without constant vein stabs. This is really good for me since I have tiny, slippery veins that sometimes require the super good tech to find usable vein.

The surgery wasn’t difficult at all. I would have preferred black-out sedation to the “conscious sedation” mode of anesthetic. Really, I didn’t contribute any expertise to the activity; I just provided the body. The radiologist surgeon did a nice job. The neck incision hurts tonight and feels like the tape is too tight. I guess that any swelling will go down tomorrow and it will feel better.

Domino had to check me out when I got home. He knew I’d been back to the vet and needed sympathy. So we took a nap. Naps solve a myriad of problems.

Our neighbor Diana came by tonight with dinner all ready for Evan to serve! How wonderful. Thank you, Diana.

Tomorrow’s adventure is an echocardiogram and a bone scan. It will be a better day because I can have my coffee before the show gets on the road. Any day that starts with coffee can’t be all bad.

Ann

1 comment:

  1. Amgen makes and sells the drug in the US, Roche ex-US, so that's why we fill it into the syringe where I work.

    ReplyDelete