Friday, November 26, 2010

Bad Hair

Nov 26 2010

She said, “Bad hair!! Bad, bad hair!! Jump your silly selves back onto my head!!” It was all for naught.

Today was the beginning of the end of “hair on my head” as I have known it. I was shampooing as usual and in rinsing my hands I saw many, many hairs on my hands. Now understand that since at least half of my hairs are white and all I can see in the shampoo is the dark hairs, there could be even more hairs “missing in action.” It is still too soon to tell by looking at my head because both my grandmothers willed me their super sparse hair genes. Going from super sparse to extra super sparse follicles might take some detective work and quite frankly I don’t care that much.

Barbara is encouraging me to go get two [2] wigs and I not sure I want one [1] wig. She thinks that I should get one conventional wig and one non-conventional wig that would “channel your inner punk.” I protested that I might not have an inner punk so she comes back with “so channel your inner Dolly Parton.”  Oops. Well, I can do that!!!

I wasn’t sure I even wanted to get a wig. The places I have been going this last six weeks certainly wouldn’t require a wig. When I’m at the oncology clinic and Dr Office most of the patients are in various stages of baldness. The first two weeks after a chemo infusion I’m too sick or fatigued to go anywhere. The third week I might shuffle out a time or two. However as I get further along in the chemo process I’ll have even less resistance to germs and bacteria and such. Even when I feel like going out and about I’ll have to be extremely careful. The alternative would be staying home for 3 months!! I can’t even imagine being just in Texas for 3 months!! I have some cute hats and caps for warmth and casual wear, but maybe I do need a head cover for more upscale outings.

So tomorrow MaryAnn and I will go wig shopping. I don’t know if I will channel my inner Dolly Parton. MaryAnn has a great sense of humor and when we are together there is no telling what might happen. Stay tuned to see if we get a punk wig or a Dolly wig or just some old lady wig that looks like the hair I’ve been wearing for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment