Thursday, January 13, 2011

What happened to my last 3 hairs?


Chemo 4 is hitting with a vengeance. It is as bad if not worse than Chemo 1.  I can barely make it from a bed to a chair today. And where ever I land I’m asleep or ga-ga within minutes. Fatigue isn’t a strong enough word for whatever this condition is. “Wet noodle days” is the phrase the Dr uses. That doesn’t work either. It is much worse than that. Maybe when I’m not so fatigued I can develop a new word for this condition.

Thank goodness I’m not having the mouth sores that I had with Chemo 1. Thank you again, MaryAnn, for bring me the cure for mouth sores. [Keep the mouth really cold with ice chips 1 hr prior to the red chemo IV push and at least 1 hr after.]  I have the bathroom issues under control with all the meds. My bathroom counter looks like a drug lab. There is no way to resolve the fatigue issue with drugs or just forcing myself to do something.

Fatigue phase also means that I have no appetite and no interest in food. This is definitely NOT normal for me!! Evan has to remind me to eat and even think up a menu because it just doesn’t interest me.

There is no need to worry about finding extra time or energy for personal grooming. I’m saving a tremendous amount of time and money by not having hair. There is no need to shave my legs or armpits. And it takes less body wash to get clean when there is no hair to get in the way. Aveeno baby body oil works great for head to toe wash and moisturizer. There is some sadness today. I noticed that my last 3 long hairs are gone. They had hung on for so long!!! Why let go now??? O, well, when this chemo is over and I can grow hair again, it will definitely be a clean start!!!  I do have a few eyelashes left…not so neatly spaced but at least they are there! The eyebrows are almost gone. If I ever care enough to pencil them in again I would know where to draw the lines.

I’ve decided to put on a fresh head cover and call it a day. My sleeper helper probably won’t join me until it is officially bed time. O, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment