Thursday, January 20, 2011

Middle of the Night Brain Storm

How come some of the best ideas come either in the shower or in the middle of the night? Maybe because we are more relaxed. So here’s my story. My sister is doing a treatment program for pre-cancerous sun damage spots on her face. The results are that she looks really blotchy now. When she is out shopping people stare because these blotches are red and flake off. And even worse the cold wind hurts when it hits the spots. Well, first, I think it is the pits that both of us have to deal with cancer. One victim per family is plenty, thank you whomever. Second, it is not nice to stare at some nice lady just because she has spots on her face or no hair on her head. I emailed Barbara that she should consider adapting a Muslim attire of scarves with a half veil and offered some of my scarves from Turkey. In my neighborhood a scarf or full burqua would not be noticed at all.

I went to sleep thinking about hats and scarves. When I woke up at I had a brain storm. Why not use an allergy mask to cover the face spots? Duh, that was simple! So then in the Dallas Morning News this morning there was an ad for a very clever creatively decorated allergy mask!! So off to the sewing room I went with a free allergy mask to use as a pattern. I have a respectable stash of fabric and beads on hand. All that I needed was a 6 in X 8 in piece of thin cotton fabric with flower or decorative motif, 8 in of elastic and 1 trash bag twist tie. Here are the directions: Make 6 accordion folds in the long side of the fabric and press. Serge or bind the edges. Encase the tie in the top edge [the accordion pleats point down]. Stitch a 4 in loop of elastic on each end of the mask. VOILA!! Get this: the ad in the paper offered these masks for $7.50 each!!! I could add the fancy beads and would be hard pressed to have $1.00 in a mask!!

When we talked this afternoon we concluded that a decorated mask would just draw attention to her face. So she will just pick up some masks at the pharmacy. O well, it was a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment