Thursday, January 6, 2011

Playing Catch Up

Remember the pudding caper? Julie O from Tucson had fresh puddings delivered to my doorstep in North Texas. How did she do that? She has a friend in the area that made and delivered the puddings to me. Now that is layers of friendships playing it forward!!! What fun!

Christmas is over so I can tell you what I was making for Katherine. She has 2 Russian Blue cats, Boris and Natasha. I made the cats a cashmere cat bed. It is so cute!!! I wonder if they will use it as a bed or a big hockey puck to chase across the floor. Or a sled…if a cat took a running leap, landed in the “bed” just right,  s/he could slide across the hardwood floor and crash into the wall. Those downstairs neighbors are going to love that!!!

Cashmere cat beds….why not?? My favorite fabric store closed this past summer. I’ve been shopping there since we moved to Texas the first time in 1976. It was a sad event; however I got over the sadness by buying as much of their fabric as my conscience would allow. One of my purchases was a bolt of cashmere at 90% off. I’ve made a couple of baby receiving blankets which I monogrammed. And I made Katherine a throw size blanket to use on the plane and/or at home. I was trying to monogram her throw but my chemo brain just couldn’t get it programmed perfectly so I gave the throw to her “blank.” Maybe she will bring it home someday when I get past chemo brain and I’ll pop on a monogram.

This week I am able to play in the sewing room and actually create something. I’m making 2 pillows to match the throw mentioned above. When I was in Basel in October we were walking past one of the upper high end home decorating stores and in the window were small fancy pillows for CF180 ($195+) EACH. Katherine said, “You could make that.” So I am. The pillows are just an envelope-fold style with 3 fancy buttons across the front!!! Give me a break!!!  I’m using the cashmere and serging the edge in a tiny rolled stitch. Truly, these pillows will be even nicer that the ones we saw!! Boris and Natasha will probably like the pillows better than the cat bed!

What other loose ends are there? O, the refrigerator exercise. Did I tell you that when we got the darn thing scrubbed and put back together and shoved back into the cabinet we discovered a stray glass shelf left on the counter? I don’t know where that thing goes!!! And even if I did, is it worth pulling the refrigerator out just to put the shelf in? But I digress. The big issue was/is the smell. And it is lingering as we speak/type/read…. We have new boxes of baking soda, a fresh can of coffee, a new deodorizer gizmo, all setting in there trying to suck up the smell. I told that refrigerator to get its act together ASAP or prepare for a trip to the big shredder at the dump. And then to punctuate my point I measured it for a replacement refrigerator that does not stick. Last night I found said replacement on the Lowes website so if the stick is still around on Friday or Saturday the refrigerator will be gone when Lowes delivers the replacement. Next week is a chemo week so there can be NO SMELLS in the house that week!!

I’m off to the sewing room to celebrate another day of week 3. First I want to finish the pillows while I have the serger threaded for the pillows. I found a piece of pink flannel fabric so I will make a couple of receiving blankets for our new Great Grand Daughter. Wonder if my chemo brain can program a monogram today?

2 comments:

  1. Ann, it sounds like you're creating some real beauty there! I so love cashmere, and you're making good use of it. :) Keep on having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check under the fridge for a tray--maybe it has some water that is smelly. Mine has one of the trays and they have to be cleaned every once in a while. By the way, did you ever get ice-maker fixed again??? Sounds like a new fridge is in order, however!! Glad you have been able to do as much sewing as you have done. It is freezing here and we are to get more snow this week. I can't wait as Harry has mowed a big path out at the property down the crp hill. The toboggan is waiting. I will be thinking of you on Monday when you head to the chemo lab and hoping for sunshine. Remember your ice!! Love you lots, girl.

    ReplyDelete