Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When does recovery start???

Today is exactly a week post chemo 6 so I expected to wake up feeling GOOD........I remember feeling good. I took it for granted. At this point feeling good would be a dream come true. With chemo 6 the drug effects have been fierce. I haven't been able to stop the nausea and GERD all week. The constipation has resolved, finally. Even after a long day in the infusion clinic getting fluids and drugs, I'm still sick.  The lymphedema continues to cause pain and discomfort. The therapists re-wrap the arm 3x/wk and the swelling is down significantly, but not enough to switch to a sleeve yet.

So what do I do from this point? Well, just keep on keeping on, I guess. Somehow I have to wait it out to get to the good days. Maybe it is going to take a little longer to get there this cycle. I have to keep drinking liters of fluids to disperse the drugs as well as keep the GERD from scalding my throat. Sleeping with my arm higher than my shoulder is a challenge; however it is getting easier. Since I'm awake several times per night to go to the bathroom, I notice where the arm is when I wake up and can reposition it when I get back in bed. The past 2 nights I have gotten a fairly good night's sleep. This helps so much.

Life in the slow lane is getting a bit dull for Domino as well. We need to get back on the dog training schedule and the therapy visit schedule. In theory I will have some immunity back in a couple more weeks. So we will start back very slowly as I try to build some stamina. Even if I felt good today I would not be able to do an hour of dog school or therapy visits. I'm just more than ready to have the OPTION of getting back on a busy dog schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment