Monday, March 14, 2011

A GOOD DAY......Lymphedema victory #1 plus lunch with good friends

Now this is a good day......... Our long time friends Bill and LaVerne came by with lunch and we had a great visit with them and with their daughter and our God Daughter Vicki.  What fun!! When we get together sometimes it feels like we are all back in the 1970's....except the kids are now adults and there are these GRAND children! It is always great to catch up with each other.

I graduated from lymphedema wrap today! I started therapy with mega fluid in my left arm. I went to the Physical Therapy clinic 3x/wk to have the arm wrapped in ace bandages to move the fluid up the arm and out the trunk. Slowly the fluid has drained and my left arm is almost the same size as my right arm. YEAH!!! So now I can switch to a compression bandage for the daytime and at night I may be able to have NOTHING on my arm. What a relief!! I've made a reservation to attend a seminar on lymphedema so hopefully I can learn to manage this condition to the max.

The Dallas Quilt Show was this past weekend and I did make it down there. However that was about all I can say about my adventure. I was SO TIRED from just a little walking about that I spent most of my time setting here and there. Afterwards I figured out that part of the problem is my blood pressure medicine which is now a tad too strong. It worked fine pre chemo, but now I need a different dose. What I did get to see was the auction of some fantastic miniature quilts. I've seen some of my sister-in-laws miniature quilts and each one is perfection and beautiful. I had not seen dozens of art minis that are so great...and I can do this too. Now I'm motivated to take on an art mini project. That was worth the trip to the Quilt Show.

My chemo recovery plan is focusing on increasing stamina by doing a little more activity each day. It is so hard to walk any distance but I have to do more walking until it is easy. I can do some cooking and laundry. And driving is okay. As soon as I can get a compression sleeve I will be able to sew again. So life is getting better each day.

1 comment: