Wednesday, March 16, 2011

First a tattoo and then radiation begins

I have a tattoo!! Let me tell you this is the last time you will hear me say that!!! OUCH!!!!! No doubt I paid more for my 4 little radiation markers than people pay for "artist" tattoos, but those little pricks HURT. The reason they tatttoo cancer patients is to mark the spots so if I ever have to go back for more radiation the next doctor knows where I got zapped the first time. 

That was the beginning of my radiation adventure. I've had the first of 33 radiation sessions and survived. The radiation machine is set by computer to zap the same area each time. The technitions make sure I'm positioned in the same place each time based on marks they have drawn all over my side and chest plus the new tattoos. Then for 10 minutes I lay on the "slightly" padded slab while the radiation machine rotates around me. It doesn't hurt but it is hard to not to develop an itch that needs scratching and having both arms above my head causes a cramp or two. When the radiation is finished there are a couple of lotions to use on the radiated area to reduce the possibility of burning. That lotion is to be applied 2x/day. Controlling the burn and dealing with the fatigue are the only consistent side effects of radiation. Fatigue has been a constant companion since chemo started. Let's hope it doesn't get too bad.

Lymphedema therapy continues to be very helpful. I'm happy to be into a compression sleeve during the day. It is much more comfortable plus I can wear most of my clothes over it. When I had the bandages I was very limited on what I could get over the arm + bandages.

That's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment