Saturday, March 19, 2011

Feeling good enough to have fun!!!!!!!!

Post chemo life is good........almost back to "normal" in many ways. It is a good thing that I figured out how to schedule too many things per day on my Blackberry. I have bigger ideas for my days than I have energy but who cares!!! Just a few weeks ago I dreaded having ANYTHING on my calendar. Now I'll schedule too many things just because I have not been "out and about" much for the last few months. I don't last very long at any of the activities but I sure enjoy being there!!

My new "hobby" seems to be radiation. I have completed 3 of 33 sessions. It isn't a very time consuming activity, just sucks up an hour of each week day for the 10 minute procedure plus travel time. There is a combination of lotions that has to be put on the entire front and back of the radiated area twice a day. This lotion is to cut down on the odds of getting radiation burns. I can't tell yet whether I will be a burn candidate. The other side effect of radiation is fatigue. I don't know if I'm experiencing radiation fatigue or not because major fatigue has been a constant since chemo began.

The radiation is messing up my lymphedema. Apparently the lymph system recognizes radiation as an assault and puts out more fluid which isn't draining so good. This means more swelling, not just in the arm but all over. Thank goodness I have 3 lymphedema massages each week so I'm not getting behind the fluid accumulation curve. I have a compression sleeve and half-glove to wear in the daytime. At night I have to wrap with ace bandages and prop the arm up on pillows to sleep. Not fun. I've ordered a compression sleeve for night use and that should come in this next week.

Dog Story: A friend who lives nearby has adopted a rescue standard poodle so we went over to meet Sylvia's Beau today. What a beautiful dog! We took Beau and Domino on a short walk together so they could have a competitive pee marking project. Then it was to the back yard and within minutes they were having a great time racing around the yard, barking and cutting each other off at the curves. That is exactly what Domino needs....a running buddy; and what Beau needs....a poodle to show him how to play and bark. So we will get them together regularly. What fun!!

I managed to hit one estate sale this week and lasted as long as I want to before getting too tired. Next week's goal is to hit two sales!!! Look out world....I'm coming back!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Man, wish I had time right now to fly down there and go with you to those sales. The sewing I could by-pass at this point. Am so glad you are getting back to your ole self (note I didn't say old, because we AREN'T). AND yes, you have never been much of a morning person, but that's ok. I love you anyway!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete