Thursday, May 26, 2011

Surviving thrush, lymphademia & post chemo system issues

Having a yeast infection systemically is difficult, at best, and not uncommon with a suppressed immune system. The PCP's routine meds didn't touch the problem. The oncologist went directly to Diflucan which began to work after a week but one script was not enough so I'm on the 2nd round. This may not be enough as I'm to take Diflucan until all symptoms are gone. For me this began as thrush in my mouth/throat, then spread through the esophagus and stomach. I really suffered with "bubbles" ... from generic burps to eruptions of mouthfuls of bubbles. Being full of bubbles means I am not hungry at all and I had to force down protein drinks [whey based since my cancer is estrogen positive, meaning no soy products] to get some energy. Once the 2nd round of Diflucan started to work I was able to expel the bubbles and began to feel alive again.

Finally I've been feeling better. And I can eat real food. And I am beginning to have energy.

Post radiation heat waves are worse than hot flashes because the heat is more constant that flashy. There is no way I can cover my shoulder/chest with anything except the lightest of covers. And during the night when I happen to cover the shoulder with a pillow case corner or such, it is instant HOT body. Thank goodness we have at least 2 beds available because when I cook one set of sheets I can go to the other bed with cool sheets while bed 1 cools off. Lately I've noticed less hot body problems. This is 3 weeks post last radiation.

Today was lymphadema physical therapy and I was pleased to get good results from the measurements on my arm. I am almost down to the same size as the right arm!!! I'm not thrilled to wear a finger to shoulder tight fitting "oven mitt" to bed each night; but if it works, it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment