Saturday, May 7, 2011

Celabrating the end of "cancer therapy"

Radiation is DONE and the burn on my collarbone is all but healed. Life is beginning to return to normal at last. It seems quite appropriate to  begin celebrating the completion of "cancer therapy." [What an oxymoron that is!! "Therapy" seems to such a healing word.....Do not be deceived. Cancer therapy is actually the opposite, designed to kill the cancer cells without killing the patient/victim. It will be 6 weeks after radiation ended before normal healing begins. My immune system is still fragile. I picked up a sore throat warranting a Z pack. If that is the worst problem I will declare myself lucky.]

The first celebration happened even before chemo/radiation ended. I bought the Bernina 830 sewing system right after the oncologist reported that my labs were clean and looked great. I get a bit of happiness happening every time I sew on that machine!

I love to have parties and have friends over. Friday afternoon 5 friends over to eat good food, drink good champagne and laugh much. We were all in the  Awesome Women's Investment Club together for some years - long enough to help each other make and lose significant money. AWIC is not my only connection to each person. My friend Joan and I met at BCBSTX in 1992. I met JoAnn in 1976 when we moved to Duncanville and our husbands worked together. Maggie was a great role model for how to care for your parent when regular nursing facilities aren't enough. Marilyn is a great interior decorator and has guided me through some decorating milefields. Sylvia and I are almost neighbors and had great fun a few years ago helping with a friend's wedding. Sylvia's current claim to fame is the rescue of Beau, a black standard poodle who plays well with Domino. Both poodles attend the party....part time at least. They had just as much fun racing in the back yard as they did going around the table to get each lady to "pet me, not him." The humans were politically correct and petted both poodles at the same time. Then they moved on to the next lady. Kids, bah humbug.

I get my power port out next week. That counts as a Party.  After that I want to go to Keller to visit Bill and LaVerne for lunch. When the four of us get together...it's a party. There was a resturant featured on the Food Channel show Diners, Dives and DriveIns that I want to check out. It is in a Convenience Store. At this point all I know is that I won't have to get dressed up!!!

Next will come some parties here for family and friends. I'm not ready for a road trip, even going down to Round Rock to see John and Jackie is too much to consider. The radiation heat is still "evaporating" .... that may not be the right word but I can't do any better at this point. I still can't cover my left shoulder very much without getting zapped with skin too hot to touch. That area has to have a vent. If I wear the wig or scarves more than 30 minutes I'm just wet with sweat. So until the heat is down to a simmer I think I'm better off to stay home for the most part. People who see me frequently have either gotten immuned to the bald head or they are super actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment