Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Travel with no immune system.........means life in the slow lane

Monday I was back in Baylor for fluids and more meds from the oncologist. Bummer. I had just had the port removed a week ago. Double Bummer. So here I go with limited resistance due to the chemo which led to the invasion of a yeast infection which must have been a carry over from the chemo called the Red Devil which caused those terrible mouth sores. Now I have a more systemic version of yeast infection. Of course the oncologist always has the most potent drugs so now I'm on a 10 day regime.

Well, fluids.........It was so easy to get fluids with the port. I have the smallest, most rolly veins!! I have bruises from the RN trying to get the anesthesia line in when the port was coming out. Now I have more bruises from trying to get the IV line in for fluids. Two veins blew out so after four sticks we finally got a line in.  And a liter of fluid later I felt much better. Really, I should have consulted the nurses in the infusion suite before I agreed to get the port removed. When Dr offed the option I took it as a wonderful sign of forward progress. Now I know.... one step forward, two steps back. Bummer.

This is the 2nd day on the strong anti-yeast drugs. I can't say there is improvement but I am no worse. So now we wait. I'll be more down than up this week, no doubt. Bummer. O, I said that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment