Wednesday, February 9, 2011

To the edge of the abyss

Because of the ice storms last week I did not get fluids and Neulasta the day after chemo as is the usual sequence. The result was that the chemo 5 drugs were going through my system for a few days as pure toxic chemicals, no buffers. When the oncology clinic opened a few days later and I got fluids and Neulasta it was too little too late so down I went. Here’s what happened:

Chemo 5 has been a rough ride from the get-go and got bad enough yesterday to send me back to Baylor for more drugs. I knew I had not been doing well for the last few days however didn’t know just how bad I had gotten until Domino refused to leave my bed even to go pee. I guess there are times when one can be too sick to know they are too sick. So early yesterday we went “drug seeking” yet again to the oncology clinic. Turns out I had no blood pressure, no fluids, none of my critical blood values were not even near the “normal” range. Domino was right, I was too sick to leave unsupervised.

A jug of fluids plus antibiotics plus gastric meds were just what the Dr ordered. There was a boat load of stuff going through my port and I could feel myself getting better quite soon. I did fall asleep a few times during infusion which is unusual for me.

We got home late in the afternoon, just in time for a solid nap before dinner. Domino checked me out as he usually does when I get home from the “vet.” He wasn’t ready to give up closely supervising me so we somehow managed to get both of us wedged into the loveseat for a nap. By the evening he decided I could move about the house alone and he went back into guard dog mode. Today he agrees that I am much better.

Just one more round to go………. Somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment