Sunday, February 13, 2011

Behind the curve again……..


Check out this most current development in the surgery procedures for breast cancer.


What a great improvement!!! Just 4 months ago when I had surgery for breast cancer I was careful in researching the most conservative management of the disease. The bad news was that I have a very aggressive form of breast cancer. The good news is that it was caught early. The surgeon was able to remove the cancer leaving a clear margin without exposing the chest muscle wall.

At that time it was standard procedure to check for cancer cells having moved to the lymph nodes. I had cancer in the sentinel lymph node therefore the surgeon continued removing nodes checking for cancer. An additional 4 nodes were found to have cancer so the 18 nodes underneath my left arm pit were removed as was the standard protocol.

Just having the nodes removed is a big deal. There is considerable pain after the surgery and that lingers to this date. The lumpectomy even with that darn drain was healed long before the arm pit quit hurting all the time. There are serious long term issues that must be managed post lymph node removal. My left arm can never be used for blood draws or blood pressure readings. I need to wear a compression sleeve when I fly. I have to be aware of protecting my left arm from being elevated for any extended period of time. Now I have my PowerPort band on my left wrist. Later on I will get a MedicAlert bracelet to note the condition and to remind me to tell the medical personnel to use the right arm exclusively.

Improvements in breast cancer procedures are happening so fast. I just happened to be behind the curve this time.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read the article yet, but I had heard that about the lymph nodes on the news and definitely thought about you. But this is new so who knows what the future ramafications of the new procedure would be. Will go read the article now.

    ReplyDelete