Friday, February 25, 2011

Post Chemo 6 is a roller coaster ride

I have met with the radiology team to plan the 6 weeks of treatment which will begin in 3 weeks. The treatments will be quick, 10 minutes or so one the table, and 30 minutes door to door. There will be at least a suntan line or rather a box around the breast and arm pit. More like a winter tan line that will disappear. There shouldn't be burning or blistering as they have a lotion for that! [At least it isn't another pill....I'm tired of pills.] They will do a CT scan before radiation actually begins. Then the next step is to do a radiation trial to line up the markers. They do say that fatigue is a common side effect but think that it is not as bad as chemo fatigue. That is encouraging.

So on to the chemo 6 and fluids. I really could not believe how "free" I felt when that last baggie of drugs when in. Just let me be DONE!! Then next day I went in for fluids and didn't even mind the Neulasta shot going in my belly.

Then it was on to the Lymphedema PT clinic for an arm wrap. The massage is interesting as it is such a light touch that it is almost not noticeable, yet very effective.Today the wrap is not so binding as the arm is about half the size it was when lymph edema hit. I've been sleeping with the arm up on 4 pillows to promote drainage. It is working. Husband has had a lesson in wrapping so we can practice that tomorrow. 

Today has been a weird day. The morning I felt great. After lymphedema clinic I tanked and had to sleep for 3 hours this afternoon. Tonight I'm just ga-ga and not too stable so will probably just go to bed early.  Chemo 6 was likely to be harder than the others due to cumulative effects of the drugs.  Guess it is a good time to just sleep this off and start on the new path to recovery another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment