Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Misc grooming, health, sewing etc.

The dark colored eyebrow pluckings have been spoken for so no more requests please. Many of my friends are also "of a certain age" and apparently need some dark eyebrow hairs to use as "low lights" in their eyebrows. Well, why not? One can buy false eyelashes to glue on; why not enhance eyebrows the same way? I have such smart friends!!!

My mustache needs attention. It is too dark, I think. Maybe if I just thin out the dark hairs [Any one need dark mustache hairs?] the grey ones won't be so noticeable. Of course I can only see the hairs in the make up mirror. Many of my fiends are close to my age so they won't be able to see the hairs just through their bifocals. Maybe I could "Drink More Milk" and leave a white stain on my upper lip and then the dark hairs wouldn't show. "For a price" a day spa salon would bleach my mustache, pluck my eyebrows, and dye my eyelashes. I'll have to think about this option. Generally I'd rather pass on the spa and save the money for a fabric store or travel. Or a dog.

The HOT HOT HOT weather continues and is certainly affecting my lymphedema. Over the weekend I was out to run errands and we went out for dinner. Between the heat and the salt in restaurant foods I had an extra 6# of lymph fluid, most in the arm. Back to keeping the arm wrapped during the day regardless of how hot and itchy it feels. And I still keep the Jobi pressure sleeve on at night. After four days/nights of constant wrapping plus drinking MUCH water,  I have the swelling down to  a tolerable level. It isn't worth the risk of swelling to take the sleeve off during the day regardless of discomfort level.

Speaking of fabric [and I generally am speaking or at least thinking about fabric] I am finally working on Katherine's 2009 Christmas present. I got some beautiful fabric when I was in Basel with her in '09. There was Swiss + in bright red with white +'s about 6" sized. And another piece of Swiss +'s only this piece has tiny +'s. The city of Basel has a flag pattern that is black and white and the symbol is like a piece from a chess set. [I can't play chess so don't know which piece it is.] So I got 3 different pieces of Basel fabric. Then I had this great idea; well, I thought it was great. My Sister-In-Law is a fantastic quilter...great designs and even better execution. So I sent her half the fabric to make anything she wanted to for Katherine. My idea was for each of us to give Katherine a "mystery quilt" from the Basel and Swiss fabric motifs. Fabric needs to "cure" just like meat. You should not cut it for the first year of ownership. However by 2010 when it was ready to cut, S-I-L was the one who got her quilt designed and made. I was late starting my project and then did the cancer ordeal last Fall. So I'm just now getting to the design and execution of the child's VERY LATE Christmas present. I finished the prototype this afternoon and was pleased enough to move forward on the remaining blocks.

Today was cleaning lady day. This is a wonderful thing for all of us as I'm much easier to live with when the house is clean. Her 9 or 10 y.o. daughter has been along the past 2 weeks. Last week she gave Geneva a good brushing. Today we painted Geneva's toe nails. A good time was had by all. Geneva had to sleep all afternoon due to all the attention and excitement!!! She is such a calm dog!!! What a change from Domino!!!

A couple of people asked if I would write about dog rescue and how we picked this particular dog. I'll get to that soon. This is it for tonight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment