Wednesday, June 29, 2011

post cancer treatment: Summer Heat related problems

It is HOT in North Texas. Dry heat, wet heat........who cares because it is just plain HOT. Ordinarily I don't care and just don't let weather stop my game plan.

However this year is different because of the cancer treatment. First the doctor took away my hormone pills. Well, that is enough to keep any woman indoors under the a/c. O, but that isn't enough ..... after chemo comes radiation which literally cooks your body from the inside to the outside. After 33 treatments my left shoulder was/is fried to the core and burned on the outside. That heat has to cool off and dissipate somehow. So it radiates outward from the core area and heats up the left shoulder, neck and head, back and trunk. The sweat just runs and runs. Especially at night. Fortunately, I am almost past the night sweat problems.

Now I can focus on the day sweat problems!! When I am out and about, even if it is a short period of time in the heat, the heat can trigger a radiation sweat blast that will last 10 minutes or so and really mess up an outfit. There is no solution because one has to get from the car to the store and just that little time frame can trigger a heat rage. I just mop off and keep on truckin'. I've been in the house far too long to let sweat keep me indoors ALL the time.

Recommendations: I've learned to keep a "cool tie" in the freezer and use that when I have to be outside for any length of time. We have sports spritz bottles which are insulated and keep ice water cold for hours. These are great when in very casual places like BBQs etc. And then the good ole ice chest rides along in the car to keep water bottles etc. It takes much more planning to just go outside now that I am a post cancer treatment person.

No comments:

Post a Comment