Thursday, June 30, 2011

Food Network Rocks!! Retirees confirmed it today!!

When one is confined to home and doing chemo it is so easy to watch much more TV than is ever "normal." Really. Reading is too much effort - books are heavy to hold, the Kindle is better however my attention span was too short to keep up with the books. So back to TV.  After a few weeks, months or so, I was wandering all over the AT&T U-verse offerings. [Some day I'll tell you about "American Pickers" and why it is just too close to my roots - not the pickers so much as the people they meet.] And tonight I'll recommend another "off the beaten path" show to you - DINERS, DIVES and DRIVE-INS on the Food Network.

Husband has been "out and about" since we started watching this odd ball show. The DDD's show has  really worked for husband, sending him to "great" places - gourmet hot dog places. I know that "gourmet/hot dog" is an oxymoron, but he doesn't so we won't go there, OK?

Today we went out to lunch with some of our "BFFs " from 'way back when our kids were grade school ages. We dined in great style with Bill and LaVerne in Watauga TX at the Chef Point Cafe. This is a gourmet restaurant in a convenience store/gas station. YES, really. The immigrant owners could not get a loan for a restaurant but could get a loan for a convenience store. So they got the CS and started a restaurant in the CS and they now have a big following. [Because I missed an interstate/highway junction between here and there] we didn't get to Watauga until smack dab noon and the place was packed!!! Parking was at a premium; however since I was along, my parking Karma prevailed and Bill got a parking spot right at the front door. [If you go without me you may be parking in the field out back.] And we got a nice table in the corner without undue traffic. The menu is awesome!!! LaVerne had the Hawaiian salmon with pineapple rice. Perfecto - and I will definitely try adding pineapple to my next Asian/Hawaiian rice dish. Bill ordered the Blackened Catfish which was served with Alfredo sauce on pasta and he said it was the best catfish EVER. Husband ordered the meatloaf and it came in a trough!!! He said it was the meatloaf best ever and he KNOWS meatloaf!! I went for the fried chicken with Belgium waffle and fruit - what an odd combination but it was PERFECT. My Mother-in-law couldn't have done the chicken any better!! 

Now each plate - no.... platter -...is far more than 4 old retired persons need to be eating, but we did it anyway. And it is more than we usually pay for lunch; but trust me, it was worth every dime and we had enough leftovers for bedtime snacks.

The morale of this story is that you might want to check out DDDs website and find local Dives in your area. I can hardly wait to plan a road trip with DDDs as part of the itinerary!!! What fun!!!! Husband's gout may be a problem later and my weight will definitely be a problem, but O, well, these are the least of our worries at this point.

Thank you, Bill and LaVerne, for taking us to the Chef Point Cafe!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment